Home Blog

Duterte confirmation of charges opens on Feb 23 – rights group calls for justice for victims

0

Press Statement
February 14, 2026

“The many victims of disgraced former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte will at last see progress with the confirmation of charges hearing on February 23, and we urge the International Criminal Court (ICC) to ensure that justice is seen to be done,” said Peter Murphy, spokesperson for the International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines (ICHRP) today.

“We welcome the January 26 decision by the ICC Pre-Trial Chamber I which rejected all the claims by Duterte’s defence that he is unfit for trial, should be released from detention, that the trial should be adjourned, and that the trial process so far has been unfair,” said Murphy. “This is the result of a huge effort by the victims, by their advocacy campaign Rise Up for Life and for Rights, and their legal team.”

Duterte is facing the charge of the crime against humanity of murder, committed on the territory of the Republic of the Philippines between November 1, 2011, and March 16, 2019, in the context of the ‘war on drugs’ campaign. If the charges are confirmed by a broad consideration of the evidence during the February 23-27 hearing, a date will be set for the full trial.

ICHRP had supported the call of the victims’ families and of many eminent jurists and human rights advocates that any manoeuvres aimed at absolving Duterte or securing his interim release be quashed. Now Duterte must remain in detention and face justice in the ICC.

ICHRP applauds the progress of the ICC charges against Duterte, but given the massive corruption scandal that emerged from August 2025, and the repression of protests about this, we call on the international community to act on the knowledge that the Marcos Jr administration should also be held to account. “Marcos Jr is throwing close associates under the bus to try to evade justice and thus save himself,” said Murphy. “He is also relying on the US Trump administration to save him as an ally in a looming war with China.”

Issue warrants for arrest of Bato, Go and others as co-perpetrators

In July 2025, the ICC Office of the Prosecutor submitted their Document Containing Charges to the Pre-Trial Chamber I and in it the Office also identified Senators Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa, Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go, and other persons are Duterte’s alleged co-perpetrators in the alleged commission of crimes against humanity in connection with the drug war. These extra names were redacted until February 13, 2026.

“ICHRP calls for the ICC to urgently issue arrest warrants for Dela Rosa, Go and the others named so that they can also face trial, along with their boss Duterte,” said Murphy. “It remains abundantly clear that the Philippine judicial system is unable to prosecute these alleged co-perpetrators. While still at large they are a risk for destruction of evidence, intimidation of witnesses and also flight risks.”

Ronald ‘Bato’ Dela Rosa during Duterte’s time as mayor of Davao City was Chief of Davao City Police (January 2012-October 2013) and during Duterte’s Presidential period was Chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) (July 2016-April 2018).

Christopher Lawrence ‘Bong’ Go was Duterte’s Personal Aide and Special Assistant (1998-2016), and Duterte’s Special Assistant and Chief of the Presidential Managerial Staff (June 2016-October 2018).

The others named are Vicente Danao, Camilo Cascolan, Oscar Albayalde, Dante Gierran, Isidro Lapeña, and Vitaliano Aguirre II. All but one of these moved from Duterte’s Davao team to the national level from 2016.

The document also referred to “other members of the PNP and high-ranking government officials.”

500 more victims recognized by ICC

In a second decision about victims, published on February 13, the Pre-Trial Chamber I also authorized 500 additional applicants to participate as victims, bringing the total number of victims participating at the confirmation of charges stage to 539 victims.

Condemn Arrest of 21 Peasants in Laguna!

0

Urgent Alert

February 13, 2026

The International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines (ICHRP) expresses utmost condemnation on the arrest of 21 peasants and residents of Sitio Veinte-Veinte Cuatro, Barangay Casile, Cabuyao in the Southern Tagalog province of Laguna. 

At 11 PM on February 7, guards of the Laguna Estates Development Corporation (LEDC) and armed goons of Emirate Security Services violently dispersed the peaceful encampment of peasants in Casile. The guards reportedly fired guns repeatedly to intimidate the residents. 

Afterwards, 21 peasants and residents were arrested and brought to the Cabuyao Police Station by the Philippine National Police (PNP) on trumped-up charges of “squatting” and trespassing. ICHRP condemns the complicity of the PNP, LEDC, and the Emirates Security Services in the violent arrest of the residents. We also denounce the inaction of Cabuyao Mayor Dennis Hain on the incident.

Among the arrested were five senior citizens, three women, one individual suffering from diabetes, and one individual with a mental health problem. They were released and their charges were dismissed after almost 48 hours in detention. 


The LEDC is owned by the influential Yulo landlord clan. It plans to construct an extension of the Cavite-Laguna Expressway (CALAX), condominiums, and subdivisions (gated villages) on peasant lands in the localities of Laguna. The incident on February 7 follows the illegal fencing of the Yulo-owned Sta. Rosa Realty Development Corporation (SRRDC) on 24 hectares of peasant lands in Casile in 2024, which reintensified the conflict between residents and the Yulos.

Barangay Casile is part of the 7,100-hectare Hacienda Yulo. Since 2020, peasants and residents in the area have been receiving eviction threats. A sitio inside the hacienda was reportedly burned down by armed goons in 2021.

The Yulos’ intrusion into peasant lands goes way back in the 1970s when they built a summer house in Casile and oversaw successive demolitions. This was the beginning of their decades-long systematic landgrabbing through companies LEDC and SRRDC.

The systematic and ceaseless attacks against peasant communities and continued landgrabbing of peasant lands in the country are symptomatic of the utter failure of the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program (CARP) of the Philippine government in distributing lands to farmers. It exposes a government run by political dynasties, landlords, and bureaucrats that strongly favor corporate interest and sham “development” over the welfare of millions of toiling, neglected, and landless peasants. 

ICHRP supports the call for genuine land reform, strong state support for farmers and the  agriculture sector, and calls for an end to attacks against peasant communities in the country.

Call for donations! Support the Philippine ICHRP Secretariat!

0

Genuine, people to people solidarity is the lifeblood of ICHRP. 

The Philippine Secretariat of ICHRP enables coordination with grassroot organizations in the Philippines and ensures we can genuinely stand alongside Filipino farmers, workers, urban poor, indigenous peoples, and communities most impacted by violations of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights. Together with committed volunteers, the Philippine Secretariat of ICHRP handles communications, research, coordination, and logistics that make each solidarity missions and campaigns possible.

By donating to the ICHRP Sustainers Fund, you are supporting the development of people to people solidarity. Funds support the Philippine Secretariat with basic operations including office costs, supply of equipment, and travel expenses – all basic requirements for effective organizing. 

We invite you to become a sustainer on a monthly or yearly basis. Your support allows us to remain independent and to continue building an international movement to confront and expose the human rights violations of the Marcos Jr regime. 

If you or anyone you know would like to help build solidarity with the Filipino people in your workplace, community, or institution, the ICHRP Secretariat can help connect you with a local ICHRP member organization in your area, or let you know how you can start up an ICHRP organization yourself.

If you have any questions about becoming a sustainer, or about getting involved with ICHRP, you can contact us at ichrp.net/contact.

Rights Group Welcomes Release of Chantal Anicoche

0

Statement
February 2, 2026

The International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines (ICHRP) welcomes the release of Filipino activist Chantal Anicoche after the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) illegally detained her for three weeks. 

Chantal’s release is the result of a relentless, international campaign. We applaud and recognize people’s organizations in the Philippines and abroad for their tireless efforts to ensure her release. Chantal’s advocacy and dedication for the rights and welfare of her fellow Filipinos has inspired and emboldened people around the world to emulate her concerns and support the most marginalized of Philippine society, including especially impacted communities in Mindoro where she was detained by the AFP. 

Following Chantal’s reported return to the United States, we express our ongoing concern for her well being and safety. ICHRP remains vigilant in monitoring her situation and ensuring accountability for those who illegally detained her. 

“We condemn in the strongest terms the posturing of the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC), who are feigning concern for Chantal while the AFP held her captive,” said ICHRP Chairperson, Peter Murphy. 

“It is completely absurd that the NTF-ELCAC – a government entity internationally notorious for stoking harassment, intimidation and killings of civilians and human rights advocates – is trying to paint itself as the harbingers of truth and protectors of youth,” continued Murphy. 

Contrary to their claims of concern for Filipino youth, the NTF-ELCAC has only enabled the AFP to subject Filipino youth and human rights defenders to torture. This is well documented in the case of Jhed Tamano and Jonila Castro, who have testified to the massive cruelty and psychological torture used against them by Philippine state agents. 

“Given the human rights record of the AFP and NTF-ELCAC, statements from these entities hold no weight when they held Chantal in a military camp where all kinds of coercion could happen,” said Murphy. 

Despite the narrative of the Philippine state agencies, which are trying to divert attention from their massive violations of human rights and intimidate activists who expose the reality of the Philippine situation, ICHRP remains steadfast and dedicated to support Chantal and the Filipino people’s struggle for their comprehensive political, economic, social, cultural and collective rights. 

####

Seid dabei für die globale Konferenz der ICHRP sowie die 5. Generalversammlung

0

Seid dabei für die globale Konferenz der ICHRP über den als Frieden verschleierten Unterdrückungsfeldzug des US-gestützten Marcos-Regimes sowie die 5. Generalversammlung in Barcelona, Katalonien vom 25. bis 27. September.